Thursday, January 17, 2008

Test #1

That's right!!! My first cutting test is this Saturday!!! We practiced the cut today, and it was ok. Now, the good news is that they are not making us find a model. That was a huge relief. Not that I didn't want to cut a real persons hair instead of the mannequin, but I was having trouble finding someone who wanted a one length bob!!! Anyway, my instructor told us today that he was not going to set our guide for us...which is a pretty huge deal!!! Before today, we have not set our own guides for this particular cut! FYI, when I say "set our guide" I mean cut the first section so that we have a "pattern" to follow for the rest of the cut. Anyway, here is the problem I had last week with setting my own guide for the cut we did last week:

My instructor set the guide for one side, and he made us set our own for the other. After we set the guide, he checked it and made sure that it looked good. If it needed some touching up, he helped us out. Even after that, I was still very unsure of myself the whole time I was finishing the cut. Up to that point I had really gotten the hang of that particular cut and my instructor hadn't had to do too much clean up. I think that, because I knew that I had set the guide and was not too sure I had gotten it right, I felt like I was doing the whole cut wrong!

The same thing happened today!!! The cut that we are doing is the easiest cut to do, but the hardest to get perfected. The guide is pretty simple to cut and I've watched my instructor set it several times....but I just couldn't get it! I was so frustrated that I couldn't get it!! My instructor came to look at it and he actually finished it for me. I'm sure that I could have finished it myself and it would have been fine, but I just got flustered and ticked off....so it was Jason to the rescue!!! Even after he finished the guide for me, I was completely insecure about myself through the whole cut!! I've done this cut more than any other so far...there's absolutely no reason for me to be so insecure about it!!! Anyway, now that I've figured this out about myself, I know that I just need to ignore it and do the cut like I know I can!! I think I get to practice it again tomorrow...so it should be much better tomorrow!!

That's really all I have for now. I can't believe that I'm almost 5 weeks into school!!! Why didn't I do this a long time ago?!!!

1 comment:

Amanda Fortney said...

Good luck on your test! I'm sure you'll ace it!